Sunday, September 19, 2010

Accidents Happen.

Yesterday, the babies and I were in an accident. It truly was the scariest thing that has happened to me (probably) ever.

We were rear-ended while we were sitting at a stoplight. I heard screeching tires, so I looked up in my rearview mirror. I could see a small Honda fishtailing towards us, but because there was oncoming, cross-direction traffic, there was (literally) nothing I could do in the split-second before impact. We were struck on the rear right bumper which sent us flying into the intersection, but (thankfully) not into the traffic.

I threw the car into park and jumped out of the Mountaineer to check on the babies. At the time, I didn't realize that there was a third vehicle involved because my priority was making sure that the twins were safe and unharmed (which they were). All I can say is, Thank God for baby carseats. Little Donny's carseat didn't budge, but Olivia's carseat was turned completely sideways from the impact. I have NO idea how that happened. The policeman at the scene checked the seats out and let me know that the carseats are still in fine, usable condition, so there's no need to purchase new ones. I still think we'll be buying some new ones tomorrow, though.

So, after I got everyone settled, I learned that two teenagers were driving a farm truck that initially struck the vehicle (that was coming to a stop behind us), which in turn struck us, and sent us flying into the intersection. We are waiting on the police report (which is pending), and that should give us a little more insight to what actually happened; or what caused the teenagers to hit the first vehicle. The babies and I were fortunate enough that we didn't have to hang around at the scene, so I didn't get the entire story at the time.

My neck is a little sore from being struck so hard from behind, but I am scheduling an appointment with the doctor to get it checked out tomorrow. The babies also have their 9-month check up tomorrow, so I'll be making sure that Dr. Wood gives them a thorough once-over just to make very, very sure that they are completely ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment